Before bringing Robert home from the hospital we asked the nurse if they were going to take off the clip from the umbilical stump and she said yes. But when we got home and changed his diaper we discovered it still on. James was there when we made the discovery, sitting on the bed next to me and he asked me if we could take off Robert's "bone". I suppose it does look a bit like a bone, pale & skinny. Not too bad a deduction for 3-yr old. After looking it over and not seeing an obvious way to remove it I called the hospital and asked if there was a trick to getting it off. I was told that they have a special knife they use to cut it open and I could just bring him in- alternatively the nurse told me that there is a way to use a safety pin to pry it open. There was no way I was making the 30 minute trip into the hospital at that point (I was still incredibly sore and uncomfortable from the c-section) so instead Tim got out his clippers we used when putting up the deer fence around the apple orchard and I held the clip as steady as I could so as not to pull on poor Robert's tender belly button and Tim snipped the end of the clip open. |
No comments:
Post a Comment