- James received his first free kid's coloring book from our local grocery store, apparently they keep these by the registers and an elderly gentleman who was bagging groceries pulled one out for James- I guess he's looking more and more like a toddler than a baby these days!
- I received my first look of disdain from another woman regarding my parenting: I was holding James on my hip as I unloaded my cart b/c I had had him in the cart in one of those fabric cart protector things (though I suppose it is the baby you are protecting from the cart, not the cart from the baby) and it was too close to his naptime and he was melting down- flinging his head back and whacking it on the metal behind him- so I took pity and did the rest of the shopping with him in one arm. I thought I was unloading the cart plenty fast as I was getting items onto the belt faster than they were being scanned, but the lady behind me asked in kind of a miffed tone "Can someone help you?" I smiled and said that I was almost done but thanks for the offer. Really, I only had a few more items in my cart by that time and in order for someone to help me they would have had to pull my cart back out the line to get in front of it to reach the items. Then I said jokingly that I count holding him and doing things as exercise (really wouldn't anyone? I mean lugging a 20lb+ baby while doing anything is pretty taxing). She kind of gave me an exasperated look. I probably shouldn't have said anymore at this point...but then I said James was just too tired to be in the cart (since he doesn't sit up well it is still a lot of work for him to stay upright)- she sort of relented and said/asked if he'd fall asleep in the car...and I responded yes! I even had a book in the car so when I got home I could read while he slept...again her look of disgust which I interpreted to mean 'are you seriously going to wait in the car for your child to wake up? Just take him into the house! You spineless nitwit!' So I said 'oh, he only sleeps for a half hour anyway so it's not that long'...worse look this time, even a bit of rolling eyeballs meaning 'You really are poorly parenting if you can't get your child to sleep longer than 30 minutes'.
Of course, she could have been thinking something totally different - but her looks were quite unfriendly and exasperated.
- James has finally figured out that he can communicate with me via his car mirror. Last week I noticed him LOOKING at me in the mirror as if he couldn't figure out if it was really me- I think the mirrors distortion of my face was throwing him off- but today it clicked and he grinned at me every time I looked back at him.
- 2 out of the last 3 nights James has slept all night without nursing. Going to bed at 7:30 and waking up at 1:15 to cry briefly then going back to sleep until 6:15 at which point he is awake for the day. (Last night he didn't wake up until 2am and I went ahead and nursed him with the hope that he'd sleep a bit longer...and he did, until 7am...which causes me a dilemma- which is better/worse- getting up once at night or getting up really early?)
Funny -- that guy always gives Elsa a coloring book too. It's cute. And -- wow! -- that lady sounds like something else! You were nice to talk to her as much as you did.
ReplyDeleteI say 6:15 really isn't that much earlier than 7:00 in the scheme of things, especially if it means you don't have to get up in the middle of the night. But that's just me -- I really disliked getting up during the night... and I'm probably more of a morning person than you. But, then again, I will say that there is something about the 7:00 hour that is much nicer than the 6:00 hour. Huh -- it really is a dilemma!
I'm impressed that you went this long without a disapproving look. I got my first when Finnan was only 2 weeks old!
ReplyDeleteHooray for sleeping through the night! I would let him sleep through the night and work on the wake up time later.