Saturday, August 8, 2009

Last far away vacation pre-baby

My midwife advised me not to travel more than 2 hrs from the hospital after 28 weeks so this past week, July 25th-Aug 2nd, (in my 26th week) Tim and I went to Montana to fish while we still had the freedom.
Originally (pre-pregnancy) we were thinking of floating the Smith river with would entail 5 nights of camping at night and floating in a boat and wading during the day to fish. Once I got pregnant I thought 5 nights of camping at 6 months pregnant didn't sound so great so we switched to fishing out of a comfy lodge at Spotted Bear Ranch for 4 days of fishing/5 nights.

The above picture was the first day of fishing- we got down to the Spotted Bear River after about a 2 or 3 mile hike- on which we saw fresh black bear tracks and ...poop. Didn't see the bear though (thankfully!). This was my first fish, not a bad size for the type of stream and fish.
Then at the end of about 6 hours of wade fishing we hiked the 3 miles back. Not bad for a pregnant lady!
The second day of hiking and wade fishing we had to go down a steep 'path' (and I use that label loosely) it was at least a 60% grade- not exaggerating- and about a 500 ft descent.
It started to rain that day - with much accompanying thunder- so we ditched out of the stream (hence the pants wet up to my thighs) and our guide made a small fire to keep us warm during the rain.
The third day Tim and I float fished- in a comfy raft with seats that had back supports. I caught at least 14 fish.
Still can see one toe poking out!
Obviously no proper bathroom in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, but this worked just fine and was more beautiful by far than the average outhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment