Thursday, August 13, 2009

28 week appointment


Yesterday morning was my gestational diabetes and anemia test day. I refrigerated the orange Glucola the evening before and drank it in the car on the way to my appointment. Since I normally eat breakfast I was quite hungry and feeling a bit nauseous after about 15 minutes post orange drink. (This stuff tastes EXACTLY like the unfrozen Freeze Pops of childhood- so not terrible but by no means good.)
You have to have your blood drawn exactly 1 hours after finishing the drink- so I got to my appointment a half hour early to make sure I'd be there in time.
The nurse pulled me back, took my blood pressure (98/58), weight (157lbs- my home scale had said 154 that morning), then told me to wait in the room for Stephanie (my favorite midwife so far).
Stephanie popped her head into the room exactly one hour since I finished the Glucola and asked if I'd had my blood drawn yet- with my answer of 'No' she took me to get it drawn.
The nurse who was in charge of drawing blood was...a bit socially awkward. I greeted her brightly (thinking that as soon as my blood was drawn I could eat my half a peanut butter and apricot jam sandwich waiting for me in my purse) and she said a rather flat 'morning' back. I sat down and asked her how many blood draws she does a day (doesn't everyone like being asked about their day and job?) and she responded with another flat 'I dont' know, I don't keep count'. So I gave up trying to make conversation. She proceeded to put on the band on my upper arm and gave me a foam ball to squeeze.
Now normally I have no problems with needles or getting blood drawn, but when she put the needle in my arm it REALLY stung- and THEN she couldn't find the vein. I don't know how it is supposed to go when they don't hit a vein right away, but I would have preferred her to remove the needle and try going in again. Instead she proceeded to swish the needle around under the skin with REALLY stung and was more painful than I would have anticipated. After about a minute of this (I was breaking out into a cold sweat and feeling like I would pass out at this point) she finally withdrew the needle and moved to my left arm- while saying with a less flat tone- even bordering on surprised 'You aren't even bleeding!'
I was worried that the left arm would go like the first and I would truly faint, but luckily it worked much faster to get the two vials of blood.
Thankfully she let me sit there for about 2 minutes - to stop the cold sweat and pass the feeling of faintness. Then I went back to the exam room and gobbled my sandwich.
Stephanie checked my fundus height- right on track at 28cm. Listened to the heartbeat- he kicked her doppler and we could hear his heartbeat speed up.
And I asked her "How much have I gained?"
"20lbs"
"Ah! tell J (last appointment's midwife) to do her math more carefully- she told me I had gained 27lbs already last time!"
"oh! No, you are right on track- you could gain a lb a week from now on and still be fine"
So this appointment went much better.
I should hear this week or early next the outcomes of the glucose and anemia tests.
Next appointment is Sept. 3rd- normal appointment at 31 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment