Monday, August 3, 2009

25 Week Appointment

Before I left for vacation on Montana I had my 25th week appointment.
It had the normal blood pressure (110/70), pee in a cup (just for you, Aunt Merry!), and weight...
A bit to say about the weight.
It had been 5 weeks since my last appointment and according to my scale at home I had gained 5lbs... not the ideal 1/2 lb. per week I desire, but not totally out of control (at least I thought since all the babycenter.com info says a lb a week is average for most women).
So since I had the previous experience with the faulty/mean scales at the practice I was a bit apprehensive (especially since Jill who had also used these midwives had said one of the midwives, J, is a nutrition nazi and got after her for gaining a bit of weight at one point.)
So I did indeed have J as my midwife and she did indeed get after me. According to their scales I had gained 7lbs and she did the math quickly in her head and said I had gained 27lbs already! In the room with us was a midwife in training and they both started in on me about what I was eating- and I actually eat quite well and pretty darned balanced. But when I answered what I normally ate for snacks and said it was fruit (not cookies, ice cream or chips) she said 'fruit is full of sugar! You need to be snacking on high protein and veggies'
Now I realize this doesn't sound all that mean or overwhelming, but to me when I was ganged up on by the older nutrition nazi and the younger nazi in training I was totally overwhelmed feeling like I had to defend myself and getting very flustered.
I almost cried- and actually my eyes did get a bit teared up.
And THEN, when I was finally done and back in the car headed home I did the math myself and realized J had done it a bit too quickly because according to their scales I had only gained 16lbs! If only I could have done the math during the appointment.

My next appointment is Aug. 12 at 9:30 in the morning. It is the one where they will test me for gestational diabetes. They gave me some kind of orange glucose drink that I have to drink all of it within a 5 minute time period exactly 1 hour before my appointment. So I guess I'll be drinking it in the car since I also have to be at the appointment 15 minutes ahead of time so they can be sure to time the drawing of my blood perfectly.

Unfortunately, the vacation that Tim and I just went on was at a Montana fishing lodge which had the former chef for George H. W. Bush- so GREAT food and huge portions to aid the fisherman throughout the day keep high energy.
I'm pretty sure that some of that high energy got stored on me for future use so I'll be dreading the scales once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment