Tuesday, February 7, 2012

You see milk, James sees....

You and I might see the milk cup leaking and a pool of milk about to spill down the side, but the other morning at breakfast James said to me "Hammerhead!" and I looked to where he was pointing at the milk.
And the large orange juice spill...he exclaimed "octopus!"
He also said that our white pizza with finely sliced basil had seaweed on it.
For many months now all fall leaves that he finds on walk are manta ray leaves (imagine the curved sides of a dried leaf being the wings and the stem is the tail).  Lately some leaves have been designated as starfish leaves (I think they are red maple).  This weekend in the garden he sat in the monkey grass and said he was in the seaweed.  Last night at dinner he was eating broccoli that had oddly long tips- he turned it upside down and declared it a jelly.  (Pretty much anything in nature with dangling bits is a jelly to him.) His brain is consumed with all things aquatic.  Not sure when this phase will end- or if it isn't really a phase at all but instead will become a lifelong passion.

1 comment:

  1. wow-- that's really fascinating! Can't believe he recognized the spills as a hammerhead and octopus-- SO creative and sharp! I cannot fathom hearing a toddler describe a leaf as a manta ray. ha!! this seems like quite the passion!

    ReplyDelete